Businesses are a key component of the community in Midland and the Midland Public Library is here to support them.
At the Midland Public Library
320 King Street, Midland , Assembly Room
Register online @ www.nscfdc.on.ca
Time: 7:30 am – 9:00 am
January 22, 2018
Learn how to create your Target Market Profile and the basics of developing a Marketing Plan.
January 29 2018
Find out which local business networking opportunities may be right for you; craft your elevator pitch; learn best practices.
February 5, 2018
Keep your options open with print, radio, TV and the web.
February 12, 2018
How to choose the right platforms for your business, and track results.
Inclement weather date: February 26, 2018
Offered in partnership with: North Simcoe Community Futures Development Corporation; Midland Public Library; Small Business Centre Barrie, Simcoe County, Orillia; The Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship Centre.
Artrepreneur Simcoe County
Applications For Artrepreneur Simcoe County Cohort 2 Now Open!
Deadline for Applications: Sunday, February 4, 2018 by Midnight
Duration of Program: In Class: Tuesday Evenings March 27 – June 26, 2018
Expo: Tuesday, July 24 2018
Information Session: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 6-8 pm, Midland Public Library
Location: Midland Public Library (in-class) and Midland Cultural Centre (Expo)
CLICK HERE to apply for Artrepreneur Simcoe County.
Register for the information session by emailing Donna Goodwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artrepreneur is a program designed to equip independent artists, arts administrators and creative entrepreneurs with vital business skills needed for success across all arts disciplines and industries. Artists are entrepreneurs who contribute greatly to the social and economic well-being of their communities and, as such, require strategic training to grow in capacity. By incubating creatives working across all disciplines in one program, we foster collaboration and the sharing of ideas, tools, tips and best practices, resulting in a well-rounded understanding of what it takes to “make it” as a creative entrepreneur.
Artrepreneur Simcoe County is comprised of weekly seminars and workshops, assignments, mentorships and a final presentation and expo over a four-month period. It primarily serves Simcoe County based artists, arts groups and arts businesses working in all creative disciplines such as, though not limited to, visual arts, dance, theatre, film, music, jewelry, fashion, graphic design, gaming and augmented reality. Sessions are hands-on and will range in format from lectures to peer-to-peer workshops.
Throughout the program, faculty will guide fellows in the step-by-step development of a business plan by providing them with templates, learning modules and actionable assignments. By the end of the program, fellows will have a complete business plan and the opportunity to present their work in front of industry leaders. Upon successful completion, fellows will also be awarded a certificate endorsed by all program partners.
- Applicant is an independent artist, Director/President of an arts group/non-profit organization or the Founder/Owner of a creative business
- All arts disciplines, design and those working at the intersection of art, technology & innovation
- Actively practicing and/or in operation for two consecutive years or more
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to commute and attend weekly sessions
Application Process & Submission Requirements
Applicants are required to submit all of the following:
- Application form
- Letter of intent outlining your art practice/business, why you want to participate in the program and what you hope to accomplish (maximum 1000 words)
- CV or Resume
- Bio (200 – 400 words)
- Support material – can be one or a combination of the following
- 5 JPG images of recently completed work; 72 dpi, 1024 X 768 pixels, label image files with a number, your name and title of piece (ex. 01_JohnSmith_BirchTrees)
- Samples of event/product/service flyers or brochures (JPG or PDF format), label files with a number, your name or the name of your organization and title (ex. 01_JaneDoe_DanceWorkshopFlyer)
- Maximum 2 minute video (send link to online YouTube or Vimeo video)
- Support material list
The application process is exclusively online. It is mandatory that you input all of the above submission requirements in the online form with the exception of support material in the form of JPGs or PDFs, which can be emailed to Donna Goodwin email@example.com. The subject line of your support material submission should read “Artrepreneur Simcoe County Support Material.”
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. The committee is comprised of representatives from partner organizations who are cultural administrators, local artists, educators and business advisors. A maximum of 30 applicants will be accepted for the program based on meeting eligibility criteria, full completion of application, ability to participate for the full duration of the program, artistic merit and business viability.
Accepted applications will be required to pay a program fee of $115.
Notification of the Results
Acceptance notifications will be issued by email or phone. Due to the volume of submissions, only those accepted into the program will be contacted.
Weekly sessions will take place at Midland Public Library. The Artrepreneur Expo will be located at the Midland Cultural Centre.
Subject matter expert guest lecturers and Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship mentors.
Partners & Funders
County of Simcoe
Town of Midland
Midland Public Library
North Simcoe Community Futures Development Corporation
Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship Centre, Georgian College
York Region Arts Council
Ontario Trillium Foundation
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 4, 2018 by midnight
Acceptance Notices: Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Program Start Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Mid-Program Break: Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Last In-Class Session Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Expo: Final Presentations & Graduation Ceremony: Tuesday, July 24, 2018
- 13 weeks in-class
- 3 hour seminar/workshop once per week, (6:00 – 9:00 pm)
- Sessions conducted by industry experts
- Access to creative industry mentors
- Learn the components of a business plan, marketing plan, financial management, intellectual property, presentation skills and more
- Regular assignments culminating a complete business plan
- Receive templates and helpful exercises
- Final presentation to creative industry leaders
- Certificate of completion
Please note that the program will be delivered in English, though bilingual business support services are available.
Please direct all inquiries to:
Donna Goodwin, Cultural Development Co-ordinator, Tourism Simcoe County
firstname.lastname@example.org | 705-818-2113
Karen Mealing, Cultural Development Coordinator, Town of Midland
email@example.com | (705) 526-4275 ext 2200
Services & Resources
Are you looking to start a business? Here are some resources that may help get you started: