Circulation Clerk Position
MPL is growing! We’re expanding our services and collections and are looking for someone who is versatile, creative and friendly who wants to make a difference in their community. A dedication to customer service and a strong commitment to helping others is a must. We’re looking for someone who wants to help us in our mission and who sees themselves growing a career at the library.
An MPL Circulation Clerk is a customer service master who is able to thrive in a rapidly changing environment. This includes circulation of library materials, providing general reader advisory and information services, registering and updating of membership records, registration for library programs, the collection of overdue fines and other related library fees, and maintaining the physical appearance, safety and security of the library, assisting other staff as needed and other tasks related to providing library services to the community. Evening and weekend work is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the daily handling of regular Library materials including, but not limited to: checking in and out, sorting and re-shelving, processing holds, emptying the book drop, answering telephone calls, acquainting borrowers with library procedures and sorting items on book carts.
- Identifies and withdraws materials in need of repair. Handles other circulation counter functions such as using the photocopier & fax machine, and selling transit tickets.
- Provides informal instruction and assistance to build skills of library users, including the use of self-check equipment, library catalogues and hand held devices.
- Assists patrons with discovery of library materials, library equipment and library resources including providing reader’s advisory.
- Assists on the information desk as needed, which may include, but is not limited to: assisting patrons with computer related services, library computer systems and databases, personal digital devices, and other online resources.
- Assisting with programming as needed.
- Performs other duties as required to support library operations.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- A motivated and outgoing personality with a passion for helping the community.
- Minimum of Ontario Secondary School Diploma Grade 12. Library related education or experience would be considered an asset.
- Ability to utilize an automated library system and familiarity with computer software and the Internet.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to project a positive, helpful image to the public.
- Ability to cooperate with other staff to ensure effective and efficient delivery of library service.
- Effective and creative problem solving and trouble-shooting skills.
- A commitment to professional development that will model lifelong learning to the community and your co-workers.
- Physical requirements: This position will include periods of frequent standing, bending, lifting and moving library book carts of materials.
Pay Band: $17.04 – $21.30 per hour*
This position consists of varied schedules – the successful candidate will be required to work day, evening and weekend shifts.
Total Hours per Week: 25 hours
Posting Date: March 31st, 2017 Closing Date: April 9th, 2017
Please apply by submitting your resume via email to, or by dropping your resume off at the library :
Crystal Budgell CEO & Chief Librarian Midland Public Library 320 King Street Midland, ON L4R 3M6 E-mail: email@example.com
No phone calls please.
* Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted*