We’re Hiring! –
Community Engagement Coordinator
Midland Public Library is looking for a change-maker, a technology and programming guru with an ability to think outside of the box. This position is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of library programs for adults, outreach initiatives for the business community and the development and creation of a new Makerspace. This is an excellent opportunity for a forward thinking, community minded person to join our fast-paced public service environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with the programming team to assess the programming needs of the community and adjusts library services and programming to meet those needs.
- Takes a lead role in the development and delivery of services to the business community,
- Takes the lead role in establishing the direction and plans for a new Makerspace / Digital Innovation Centre.
- Supports/supervises collection development.
- Prepares budget requests for the maintenance and enhancement of library services and collections, administers budgets for these operations and monitors spending.
- Promotes Midland Public Library Services in the community and coordinates the library’s public relations functions.
- Assists the CEO, as requested, in the general management of the library, including long-range and strategic planning, implementation of Board decisions, and representation of the Library on cross functional committees and at workshops as required.
- Performs other duties as required to support library operations including assisting on the information desk and circulation desk as required.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- A motivated and outgoing changemaker with a passion for helping the community.
- An awareness of emerging trends in libraries.
- Knowledge of and interest in Makerspaces and their places in public libraries.
- Knowledge of and interest in services for adults and the business community.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associated, community groups, external agencies and the general public. Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- A proven ability to champion and successfully implement change.
- 3-4 years of relevant public library experience, preferably at a managerial level with supervisory responsibilities and experience in developing, implementing and promoting services to the community, or related experience.
- A Masters of Library and Information Studies degree from an ALA-accredited university or a Library Technician Diploma would be considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of procedures and skills applicable to collection development.
- Proficient use of the Microsoft Office Suite, social media. Experience with WordPress and other technologies would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of public library organizational, regulatory, and legislative environment.
- Effective and creative problem solving and trouble-shooting skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required.
Compensation: Competitive salary
Total Hours per Week: Full Time, 35 hours – This position consists of varied schedules which include day, evening and weekend shifts. This is a 1 year contract position with the possibility of extension.
Closing Date: 5pm on June 16th, 2017
Please apply by submitting your resume via email, or by dropping your resume off at the library to:
CEO & Chief Librarian
Midland Public Library
320 King Street
No phone calls please.
* Only those candidate selected for further consideration will be contacted*