For the shared health of our staff, patrons, and community, the Midland Public Library building is open to the public with limited hours and services. Please note that the “Big Dig” may impact services such as curbside pickup, access to the book return and access to the facility as we move into stage 3. We will post any changes to services related to the Big Dig as quickly as we are aware of them. We thank you for your patience.
SEPTEMBER 15 UPDATE: Construction has progressed so we do not have access to our King St. sidewalk. If you have challenges with steps and/or walking across uneven ground, please come to the Library’s front entrance via our Elizabeth St. sidewalk.
|Subject to change without notice.||Last entry is 30 minutes before lunch / close.|
|Monday||10:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Tuesday||10:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Wednesday||1:00pm - 4:00pm
5:00pm - 7:00pm
|Thursday||10:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 4:00pm
|Friday||10:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 4:00pm
We’re providing curbside pick-up (by appointment, select materials only, no special collections). Find out more here. Manage your account and holds here on our website or call 705-526-4216 for assistance. Our book drop is open. All materials will be subject to a week in quarantine before being checked in and placed back into circulation. If you still have materials you checked out before the closure, please return them before September 1, or fines will be charged.
Our electronic resources are available 24/7. Consider using our downloadable books, audiobooks, or magazines or learning something new with our online databases. Find all our updates and great shared resources on our Facebook or Twitter pages. Find our virtual programs on our Events Calendar and lots of free online activities here.
We require patrons to:
- Wear a face mask or face covering of their own provision while in the Library, for their entire visit. Under 2 years of age will be exempt. In all other cases, if you cannot or are unwilling to wear a mask or face covering we will refer you to our curbside service.
- Adhere to social distancing rules while in the Library
- Respect the 2 person per household/group limit
- Limit their time in the Library to a maximum of 30 minutes
Library services that will be unavailable until further notice include:
- In-person programming for all ages
- Public computer access
- Room bookings
- Faxing / scanning
- Coffee station
- Interlibrary loan requests
- MakerPlace equipment
- Book Cellar used bookstore
- High-touch items in-house such as toys, kits, puzzles, etc.
Upon re-opening we will encourage patrons to:
- Explore our online resources, e-books, and e-audiobooks
- Renew their currently checked out items online or by phone
- Use our self-checkout options / scan their own library cards in-house
- Consider making any payments at / to MPL by debit / credit rather than cash
We are monitoring the situation carefully with our municipality and local health authorities, and have implemented the following practices:
- Installation of plexiglass shields at the various service desks
- Encouraging standard prevention measures for staff and patrons, such as washing your hands often with soap and water, using alcohol-based hand sanitizer, sneezing and/or coughing into your sleeve, avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth, and staying home if you’re sick
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces and equipment
- Ensuring facilities for hand washing, paper tissues, and hand sanitizer are widely available to staff and patrons, and encouraging their use
- Expanded signage promoting recommended public hygiene practices, including signage providing information to assist in self-identification and prevention of transmission
- Washrooms closed to the public
- All materials returned or used in-house will be subject to a 72 hour quarantine before being checked in and placed back into circulation
The Library continues to regularly monitor health authority communications. Should the situation change in Midland, further updates and responses will be made available here on the website to ensure we are keeping you informed.
CEO and Chief Librarian
Resources for your information:
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit – COVID-19 Updates
Town of Midland – Coronavirus Updates
Government of Canada – Outbreak Update website
Province of Ontario – Outbreak Update website
Province of Ontario, Ministry of Health – 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public